In this Gillette Mach 3 review, we’re going over this disposable razor’s features, pros, cons, and user opinions. Considered one of the most popular cartridge razors on the market today, the Mach 3 is a triple-bladed razor designed to be extremely sharp and quite durable. The handle is different from most cartridge razors, as it adapts to the way pressure is applied to the blade while shaving, reducing cuts and irritation. There are also other features that make the Mach 3 such a desirable razor among primarily men (but also women), and we’re going to explore them in this review.
image via: Gillette
Gillette Mach 3 Product Description
The Gillette Mach 3 disposable cartridge razor includes three blades, which allow for less passes over the same spot, and a quicker shaving time. This also means you get more shaves out of each cartridge, and the ‘micro-fins’ in front of the blades help your hair stand straight for a more precise shave. Thanks to the blades’ open design, the razor is pretty easy to clean.
The handle of the Mach 3 razor has a comfortable grip, and changes according to how much pressure is applied as the blade makes contact with the skin. This makes it easier to shave without applying too much force, which can lead to irritation and nasty razor bumps. The patented DLC (diamond like coating) Comfort Edge on each blade also helps minimize discomfort and that after-shaving itchiness.
There’s an advanced indicator lubricating strip that sits at the top of the razor that makes your shaving go a lot smoother, for a great glide. It has a gradually fading blue stripe that lets you know when it’s time to change blades to prevent any shaving accidents from dull cuts.
Gillette Mach 3 Pros
Below are some details behind the main pros of the Gillette Mach 3 disposable cartridge razor. These include its comfortable grip handle, three sharp blades, open blade design, and more.
- Comfortable handle. The handle of the Mach 3 makes it easier to shave without applying too much force on the blade, which would result in cuts and razor bumps.
- Triple-blade razor. The Mach 3 has three DuraComfort blades for long-lasting comfort and durability.
- Open blade design. Open blades make it a lot easier to clean the razor, so there’s less hair getting stuck, which can dull the blades quicker.
- Lubrication strip. For a smoother glide, the lubrication strip helps protect your skin from irritation and cuts, and when it turns white, that’s an indicator to replace your blades.
- Advanced microfin skin guard. This helps stretch your skin and prepare your hairs, for a cleaner shave.
Gillette Mach 3 Cons
While this razor has its benefits, there are some problems that more than one Gillette Mach 3 review mention. Below are some of the most common problems with the Mach 3.
- Lubricating strip doesn’t last long. The lubrication strip is said to only last a few shaves, but it’s recommended not to leave it in the shower, since steam can melt it quicker.
- Blades dull after a few shaves. While the blades are extremely sharp and provide an effective shave, they’re said to only give you a few clean jobs before the next replacement.
- Not cost-effective. The razor’s blades are of high quality, but many wish they were more durable at a lower cost.
Accessories and Additional Pieces
The blades of the Mach 3 are disposable, but you may need to buy the handle separately. Luckily, the cartridges are compatible with any Mach 3 razor handle.
What Users Say
Most positive reviews of the Gillette Mach 3 mention that the blade is great at resisting clogging, thanks to the open blade design, and that it’s also very comfortable to handle and maneuver, since the cartridge is compact. The blades are said to be rather sharp, and do just as much work as fancier cartridges with more blades, but considering that they’re a bit wide, they’re not that ideal for tight spots.
A more neutral Gillette Mach 3 review points out that while the blades do a good job, they only have about a few shaves in them before you have to replace them. The lubrication strip makes the razor glide much easier, but if left in the shower with the hot water running, the strip can melt off very quickly. The blades are also said to dull quicker for those with more aged/thick facial hair.
Negative reviews state that while the blades are of good quality, they should be more durable at a lower cost. Some can only get a couple of shaves in before replacement, which isn’t too ideal for those who don’t want to constantly spend money on new blade cartridges. Those with thicker hair may also find that you have to pass over the same spot a few times in order to get a close shave.
image via: Amazon