The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is Norelco’s entry-level model. Priced at just under $30 online, the Shaver 2100 includes Norelco’s most important features, but does not include the other options found in more expensive models in their Shaver line. The Electric Shaver 2100 is a good option for safety razor users who want to try out the Norelco line and see if they want to make the switch to electric. In my Philips Norelco review, I’ll weigh the pros and cons so you can decide if this Norelco model is for you.
Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 Description
As the name suggests, the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is only a shaver, not a trimmer or groomer, and designed primarily for male facial hair, although some women customers report using it on their legs without a problem. The Electric Shaver 2100 is a slightly smaller version of Norelco’s classic rotary shaver design. Their two main design features are the “Close Cut System,” which is what they call their self-sharpening blades, and the “4-Direction Flex Head,” which uses the three rotary heads moving in four different directions to adjust to the contours of your skin.
As Norelco’s basic shaver, the Electric Shaver 2100 would make a great starter razor for a teenager just starting to shave as its simple to use and easy to charge. It has great battery life for a starter model, thanks to a lithium ion battery, as well as a handy trimmer for mustaches and sideburns.
- Warranty. Norelco’s manufacturer warranty is excellent for a shaver at this price point. The warranty covers any defect for two years from the date of purchase.
- Decent battery life. There has been a lot of good feedback among users about the battery life on this Norelco. This machine takes around eight hours to fully charge and runs for around 35 minutes, potentially allowing for 2 weeks of shaves on a single charge. The battery is covered under the warranty for the full two-year period.
- Good quality close shave, especially for this price range. Many customers say they’re very satisfied with the closeness of their shave, and that it is very near what you would expect with safety razors.
- Self-sharpening blades. This is a major advantage since most shavers need to have their head replaced within the first year or so. Norelco’s self-sharpening blades, on the other hand, are likely to last much longer.
- Easy to clean. The Electric Shaver 2100 comes with a unique one-click open feature, which allows you to click open the head in order to easily wash your shaver.
- Norelco name. The Philips Norelco brand is synonymous with electric shavers. Philips has been making shavers since 1939, and Norelco is one of the leading brands on the market.
- Excellent value. This Norelco shaver comes with self-sharpening blades and great battery life, all for under $30.
- Only cordless use.Unfortunately, the 2100 doesn’t work while plugged in, so you have to charge up before use. At $30, it would be nice to have a corded use option, although most reviews are pretty favorable as far as battery life.
- Just a shaver. The Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is only a shaver, not a trimmer or groomer, but at $30, there might still be enough room in your budget for another machine. It does come with a mustache/neck trimmer, though.
- Dry shave only. This machine is dry shave only, so users with extreme sensitivity don’t have the option to lather up to reduce razor burn. This is typical in this price range, however.
- Discomfort. According to most reports, you’ll get a close shave for the price, but unfortunately there are some reports of irritation and razor burn, especially from having to re-do certain trouble spots.
- Blade issues. Some users report that their self-sharpening blades become dull quickly.
Accessories and Additional Parts
The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is a basic, entry-level model, so it comes with minimal accessories. A protective cap, power cord, and cleaning brush are all that is included.
What Users Say
User reviews for the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 are generally extremely positive. Several reviewers praised the machine’s battery life and charging time, while many users said the shaver provided a close shave not typical of less expensive machines. For the most part, most agreed that the machine is great value for money. There were a few detractors, however, who complained about problems coming up a short time after initial use, such as reduced battery time and blades becoming dull.
I’d like to conclude my Philips Norelco review by recommending the Electric Shaver 2100. At slightly less than $30, this model is a good option for those who want to combine it with a trimmer for other grooming, but still want a shaver for daily grooming. Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 also serves as a great introduction to the Norelco line, or as a short-term stop-gap while looking for a more expensive razor for long-term use. One would be hard pressed to find another shaver in this price range with such high marks from reviewers. All in all, this Norelco machine is great value for the money.
The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is Norelco's entry-level model. Priced at just under $30 online, the Shaver 2100 includes Norelco's most important features, but does not include the other options found in more expensive models in their Shaver line.