At best, shaving is a fastidious practice, which never ends, but by using the best razor blades it can be relatively quick and painless. Finding the best shaving blades can become a little bit overwhelming given the sheer number of blades on the market to choose from. We’re going to help narrow down your search by providing you with a review of the 10 best razor blades available in 2017.
1. Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
The Astra Platinum blade is a very popular, Russian-made, razor blade. It is popular for a good reason. This is a high-quality blade made of durable stainless steel, platinum coated and individually wrapped in order to maintain quality.
Astra Platinum blades maintain their edge well and they are moderately aggressive, placing them among the best razor blades for experienced shavers whose skin isn’t quite as sensitive as that of a novice shaver.
• Stays sharp.
• Plenty of durability.
• Might be a little too aggressive for a novice shaver.
Price: 100 blades for under $12 ($0.12 per blade)
2. Personna Double Edge Razor Blades
This Personna blade is also durable with glide coated stainless steel. It is a lighter, more flexible blade, which is designed to provide a very close shave. Each blade comes individually wrapped to ensure quality.
Though this is a lighter blade, its sharpness makes it one of the best razor blades for more experienced shavers. Because beginning shavers are often a bit tentative, this razor might not be the best for a novice shaver.
• Maintain their sharpness.
• Durable and flexible.
• Individually wrapped.
• Being lighter, it tends to require more pressure by the shaver.
Price: 100 blades for under $13 ($0.13 per blade)
3. Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
High-class stainless steel from Sweden is used in the construction of the Derby Extra blade. The cutting edges of this blade are made of tungsten and platinum in order to help maintain the durability of the edge.
This is a heavier, aggressive blade, which remains extremely sharp for a very long time. It is another of the best razor blades for experienced shavers or for those without sensitive skin but is not recommended for a new shaver.
• Very sharp and durable.
• Heavier blade, which requires less pressure from the shaver.
• Economically priced.
• Not recommended for beginners or those with sensitive skin.
Price: 100 blades for under $8 ($0.08 per blade)
4. Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless
The new hi-stainless steel construction of Feather blades place them among the best razor blades made in Japan. These blades are platinum coated, keep a sharp edge, are smooth and comfortable to use.
In spite of the fact that these blades are very sharp, they provide a less aggressive shave and are therefore better for sensitive skin and novice shavers.
• Can be used by shavers with sensitive skin.
• Durable stainless steel which maintains a decent edge.
• A little bit more expensive than the average.
Price: 100 blades for right at $25 ($0.25 per blade)
5. Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
The triple ceramic coating on the Wilkinson Sword Classic blade makes it very durable and makes it corrosion resistant. They maintain their edge longer than your typical stainless steel blade.
Wilkinson Sword Classic blades have been listed among the best razor blades for a long time. They provide a close, comfortable shave for a dry shaver, but aren’t particularly designed for wet shaving.
• Durable and corrosion resistant.
• Can be used by any shaver.
• Maintain a sharp edge longer.
• Not good for wet shaving.
• Moderately pricey.
Price: 100 blades for a little over $20 ($0.20 per blade).
6. Dorco ST300 Double Edge Razor Blades/ Stainless Steel
The Dorco ST300 blade is a favorite among barber shops because it is an all-purpose, stainless steel blade with a platinum coating. This blade, made in Vietnam, is a less aggressive blade, which isn’t as sharp as some of the others but maintains its edge well.
The best razor blades are the ones which can provide the most comfortable shave with the least amount of irritation. The Dorco blade has a long-standing reputation that has been well earned. It typically maintains its edge 3 times longer than its competitors.
• Not as sharp or aggressive as other blades.
• Can be used by experienced or novice shavers alike.
• Economically priced.
• Unless they are taken care of and repackaged after the box is open, they will rust.
Price: 100 blades for right at $8 ($0.08 per blade).
7. 7 O’clock Sharp Edge Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
Gillette has maintained a popular presence among shavers for a very long time and the 7 O’clock Sharp Edge razor lives up to the company’s reputation. These Russian made stainless steel blades are one of the sharpest and longest lasting blades available on the market.
These blades will provide a comfortable, close shave for the experienced shaver, but are probably a little bit too sharp and aggressive for a beginner. The longevity of the cutting edge also makes them a hit among the best razor blades.
• Durable stainless steel.
• Maintains its edge.
• A little too sharp and aggressive for novice shavers.
Price: 100 blades for right at $16 ($0.16 per blade)
8. Merkur-Razor Double Edge Razor Blades
German engineering goes into these high-end razor blades. Merkur razor blades are made of the finest stainless steel with platinum coating for durability and to help maintain their edge. Features and benefits
The longevity, weight and moderate aggressiveness rank Merkur blades among the best razor blades ever invented. In terms of longevity, these blades last 8 to 10 times longer than most of their competitors.
• Extreme edge longevity.
• Moderately aggressive to suit nearly every shaver.
• You will have to pay more than three times as much for that extra durability and longevity.
Price: 100 blades for right at $60 ($0.60 per blade)
9. SHARK Super Stainless Double Edge Razor Blades
The Shark Super Stainless blade is a solid, standby razor made of professional quality stainless steel, which is coated for comfort. These blades are designed to fit nearly all razors from modern to classic designs and are touted for their ability to maintain an edge.
These are among the best razor blades recommended by barber shops, like the Dorco, they aren’t as sharp as other blades, so they are better for shavers with sensitive skin. Their edge longevity is among the best of all razors, lasting three times longer than the average razor.
• Superior edge longevity.
• Very versatile design to fit nearly all razors.
• Good for new shavers and those with sensitive skin.
• Not as sharp as other razors.
Price: 100 blades for under $12 ($0.12 per blade)
10. Gillette Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blades
The Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blade is a well regarded, Russian-made, blade with platinum coating making it glide smoothly over your skin. This is a lighter weight blade, but with plenty of edge, durability to maintain its sharpness.
The Silver Blue is classed among the best razor blades because it has a sharp, durable edge without being too aggressive. Some users tout this razor as being one of the best-priced razors for its level of quality.
• Durable blade.
• Very sharp with decent edge longevity.
• Smooth glide for a comfortable shave.
• The lighter weight makes you tend to apply more pressure, which can be a challenge for novice shavers.
• A bit pricey.
Price: 25 blades for under $7 ($0.28 per blade)
When it comes to buying the best shaving blades for your razor, narrowing down your search using our criteria can help you find the best value to fit your needs. Which is the best razor blade of the 10 best razor blades we’ve reviewed? For overall value, we’ll have to give the edge to Astra Platinum. Astra Platinum meets most of the criteria we listed above and at a decent price, providing you with the most value for each dollar spent. Two more of the best shaving blades that should be considered are Wilkinson Sword Classic and SHARK Super Stainless. Choose one of these best razor blades today and be sure to comment about your own experiences in the section below.