While a rather expensive hair removal option, an IPL (intense pulsed light) device slows down and reduces hair growth after each treatment. In this Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige review, we’re going to look over the main features of this IPL device, along with its pros, cons, additional accessories, and user opinions. It’s safe to use on the face and body, in areas such as legs, arms, bikini, and underarms. Considering it has 200+ full-body applications ready, it can last for up to 15 years of use.
Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige Product Description
The Philips Lumea BRI956 has a minimum of 250,000 flashes, which covers 1,025,000 cm2 of surface area on the body, when using the 4.1 cm2 body attachment. In short, this means you get over 200 full-body treatments, for 15 years of monthly treatments. While it’s an investment, it’ll save you money in the long run.
There are four different attachments for the body, face, bikini, and underarms area. The device claims to offer results within just three treatments, with up to 92% hair reduction. With the help of the SmartSkin sensor, the system advises the best setting based on your skin tone, to help you achieve the best results.
There are five intensity levels to choose from, and the device is compatible with black to dark blonde hair. The stamp mode lets you flash over a specific area, while the continuous flash mode lets you glide the device over a bigger area. For safety precautions, you also get an integrated UV filter, and the device won’t flash until the flash window makes contact with the skin.
Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige Pros
This section of the Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige review will present the device’s main pros.
- Fast and easy to use. The BRI956 offers fast sessions, and doesn’t take up too much time, compared to shaving or waxing.
- Safety. For your safety, the device doesn’t flash until the small flash window makes contact with the skin.
- Long-term use. The BRI956 has 250,000 flashes, which will give you up to 15 years of full-body treatments.
- Automatic skin sensor. While you can also manually adjust the intensity level, the skin sensor will automatically detect your skin tone, and set the intensity level that best corresponds to it.
- Intuitive shape. The intuitive gun-shape makes the device easy to handle, and great for hard-to-reach areas like the back of the knees and the underarms.
- Can use cordless. You can use the device both cordless or plugged into an outlet.
Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige Cons
While the device has its pros, there are some issues that its users have experienced as well, and we’re going to talk about them in this cons section.
- A bit heavy. The device is said to be a bit on the heavy side, but not to the point where it strains your hands and wrists.
- Can’t use on light hair colors or dark skin. Unfortunately, you can’t use the BRI956 on light hair colors or dark skin. It works best on black to dark blonde hair, and very light to medium brown skin.
- Tends to sting. The first time you use it, you might get a stinging feeling, especially on sensitive skin types. Fortunately, you can manually adjust the intensity level, if you find one to be too much for you.
- Power can run out when cordless. While it’s more convenient to handle the IPL device without the frustration of a power cord, it can run out of power mid-operation, which can be inconvenient.
Accessories and Additional Pieces
Along with the device itself, you also get a body attachment, a face attachment, an underarm attachment, and a bikini attachment. Additionally, you get a power pack and long cable, a storage pouch, and a cleaning cloth.
What Users Say
A positive Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige review favors the flexibility of the device, since you can use it either corded or cordless. It can sting a little on the first try, but it ultimately reduces hair growth by a significant amount after a few sessions. The skin sensor is handy, since it can adjust the intensity level for you based on your skin tone, but you still have the convenience of adjusting the intensity manually. The attachments are a big help as well, so you can get more precise results.
Other reviews of this device point out that using the device cordless can make it run out of power mid-use, but using it with a cord can make it get in the way. The flashes are said to be faster when plugged in, and the attachments make it easier to target specific areas, instead of being forced to use only one flash window size. The stamping mode is great for your face, bikini line, and other delicate areas, while the glide is great for larger areas like the legs. Although there’s some slight pain, it’s said to take about half an hour for a full-body treatment.
A more negative Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige review mentions not seeing a lot of significant results, even after using the device for eight weeks. Of course, results vary from individual to individual, and it’s important to have realistic expectations when using IPL systems. The device is a bit heavy, but otherwise easy to handle, and its shape makes it easy to reach awkward places like the underarms or behind the knee area.
The Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige is a worthy investment if you’re looking to get smooth skin or virtually unnoticeable hair thickness. It has five intensity settings, and is compatible with dark blonde to black hair. It can be used cordless or plugged in, and it claims to offer up to 92% hair reduction in just three treatments. Although it’s a bit pricey, and won’t work on dark skin tones or light hair colors, it seems to be an optimal choice when it comes to effective hair removal. Have you decided if this is the right option for you based on this Philips Lumea BRI956 Prestige review?