The Norelco name is synonymous with electric shavers, and this Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Electric Razor is a basic entry-level travel entry from the industry giant. Retailing for around $15, this is a great machine for people looking to invest in a travel shaver that they can use for several years but that is still portable and convenient enough to use on the go. Although it’s missing a few features that Norelco reserves for its more upscale models, the Philips Norelco PQ208/40 provides quality and a few advanced functionalities that set it apart in its price class.
The Philips Norelco PQ208/40 is the most basic model in Norelco’s PowerTouch series. Of course, the machine uses Norelco’s signature flexing heads design that makes for a close shave. The machine goes for more than three hours on a single charge, which is extremely convenient for both daily use and travel. It also has some great features unique to Norelco, such as self-sharpening blades, which aren’t usually found at this price. Not to mention that you get the peace of mind of Norelco quality and their solid warranty.
Most users find Norelco electric razors to be very comfortable on sensitive skin because of the multi-head design. Unfortunately, this model isn’t safe for wet shaving, which is bad news for people who suffer from irritation. However, this model, or any Norelco, would be a great starter for a new shaver thanks to the quality design.
Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Electric Razor – Pros and Cons
It’s easy to point out the good stuff on a Philips Norelco electric razor, but this model doesn’t come equipped with all the fancy features you might expect.
- Warranty. You get Norelco’s gold-standard two-year warranty to protect your investment. This protects you from problems that develop down the line, which the retailer’s warranty doesn’t cover.
- Corded and non-corded use. This is not a common feature on most electric shavers, particularly in this price range. It’s extremely convenient to be able to use the machine with a cord if the battery is dead.
- Comfort. Norelco is well-known for its innovative design that hugs the contours of your face to minimize irritation and discomfort.
- Self-sharpening blades. This is another feature that is unheard of in an entry-level model such as this. These blades give a close shave that won’t get from many other razors at this price. What’s more, you can easily replace heads every year to keep them working like new. You’ll also save money in the long run over having to buy a cheap disposable electric razor every year.
- Lithium-ion battery. The shaver will run for about 3-4 hours on a single charge, which means your razor will be ready when you need it. Another plus is that most Norelco machines are dual-voltage, meaning you don’t have to worry about damage if you travel to a country that uses hire alternating current voltages.
Because this is Norelco’s starter model, it’s missing a few features which you might expect on a machine for this price. It’s still a good value, but it may not be worth going with this basic entry.
- No wet shaving. This is one of Philips Norelco’s specialties, and it’s a shame that this razor doesn’t have that capability for the price.
- No precision trimmer. Not having a trimming attachment is a major drawback at this price, so it probably isn’t worth it if you need to maintain a mustache.
- No quick charge. Other Philips Norelco electric razors have a quick charge system for a one-off shave if the battery is dead. Unfortunately, Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Electric Razor doesn’t come with that feature.
- No pivot. Philips Norelco’s other electric razors have an easy pivot feature that makes it possible to get to hard-to-reach spots. Sadly, this one does not come with that useful feature.
- Not a complete solution. At this price, you wouldn’t expect a complete grooming system from a top brand, but this model is particularly disappointing since it’s not even designed for trimming.
Accessories and Other Additional Pieces
This is Philips Norelco’s entry-level model, so it doesn’t come with a lot of extras. Aside from the razor, you get a power cord, cleaning brush, protector cap, and pouch.
What Users Say
The vast majority of users were extremely satisfied with this model. It’s not easy to find a travel razor for around $15 that provides a close, comfortable shave. Some people complain over the razor’s inability to deal with coarse hair, but this is predictable with a less expensive dry-shave model.
Nonetheless, users were generally very happy with their razor’s performance, with several people pointing out that they had used their shavers for years. Many reviewers wrote that this Philips Norelco electric razor had offered the same level of quality as far more expensive models.
It’s hard to find an inexpensive electric razor that’s worth the money. Often the best advice is just to spend a little more for a more worthwhile investment. However, Philips Norelco has produced a travel shaver that’s in a class of its own. Whether you purchase Philips Norelco PQ208/40 Electric Razor for regular use or back-up, it’s safe to say you’ll get your money’s worth.