This article intends to review the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 on topics including price range, features, and recommendations of other men’s shavers. Philips has created an all-in-one grooming, shaving, and trimming package. This means you can use it to not only groom your beard hair and mustache but also to trim the hair on your head and your sideburns. The combs included in the set have eighteen different length settings. Therefore, you can cut your hair to the exact length that you want to.
What makes this razor hair trimmer better than other comparable ones on the market? It is up to you to truly decide that. Hopefully, after reading this article, you will get a better understanding of an electric trimmer and whether the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 is the right one for you.
Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 Features and Benefits
Most hair trimming clippers have similar purposes: to provide a great experience in trimming or shaving unwanted hairs on the body. This is the most basic purpose of all trimmers. The Philips Norelco goes one step further. Included in the package at purchase is a grooming kit including the electric trimmer itself which is fully washable and turbo-powered, a detail trimmer, beard hair, and stubble combs, nose trimmer, hair clipping comb, and even a mini foil shaver.
This shaver/trimmer combo is easily used by anybody, beginners and experts alike. The Philips Norelco 5100 offers ultimate comfort and protection due to the high-quality trimmer blade design and blade attachments. The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 is water resistant, giving it an advantage over other shavers during wet shaving. But that is not all. One of the main highlights of this close shave electric razor is the self-sharpening stainless steel titanium blades.
Even by looking at them, you can tell that they are made to last. Each of the blades has rounded tips, making them easy to use on sensitive skin, reducing irritation and razor burn. You will get the close shave that you want. Furthermore, the turbo boost feature delivers fast and easy results, even when used on thick and stubborn hair. Thanks to the lithium-ion battery, you can also enjoy cordless capabilities and fast charging. Are you intrigued yet? Read on.
What Are the Best Features of the Philips Norelco 5100?
Why is this a top product in trim technology? As we previously mentioned, the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 comes with eighteen precision attachments ranging between 1 to 18 mm in length. You can shave your hair to a very fine length. These trimmers have amazing precision, allowing you to groom fine lines and create contours. The ear hair and nose hair trimmer are particularly useful, as their narrow head allows you to easily remove unwanted hair. If you’ve been reading through nose hair trimmer reviews to find your perfect grooming tools, search no longer. You have found it.
Another attachment we appreciate is the detail foil shaver. This piece allows you to remove hair in hard to reach areas (e.g. your neck and chin). This particular comb also has eighteen length settings, ranging in length from 3 mm to 20 mm. For those who know how to shave, this comb comes in handy.
Do you have unwanted stubble? The package also includes an adjustable stubble comb, ranging from 1 mm to a maximum of 12 mm. This is a great feature if you are in a hurry and need a quick touch up before you get out the door. Since the shaver runs on a lithium-ion battery, you only need to charge it for one hour before you can use it cordless. Another option is to quick charge it for five minutes if you need a full trim. The turbo power feature is well-known to cut through the thickest hair with ease. For those who have long or thick facial hair, you can increase the speed of the shaver for easier use. Since it is a waterproof unit, you don’t have to worry about whether you should shave wet or dry.
This product comes with a two-year limited warranty, allowing you to return the shaver if it does not live up to your expectations or has a design defect. The warranty shows that the manufacturer has a good deal of trust in their product and its performance. While it is primarily intended to groom the hair on your head and facial hair, the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 can be used anywhere on the body. This includes use as ear hair trimmers, nose hair trimmers, and on your arms and legs.
While the term ‘cutting capabilities’ seems broad, we’re specifically talking about the Norelco Multigroom 5100’s dual-sided technology. This main razor is what sets the device apart from a number of other hair trimming products on the market. The head is designed in such a way that it offers a standard side to trim and shave as well as a detailed side to get the precise cut you want. This is a great feature, and from user reviews, we can see that it makes shaving an enjoyable experience.
Some shaving products tend to tug at your hair, causing skin irritation and disrupting a clean shave. When you choose the setting you want, the shaver automatically locks into position, so it won’t pull your hair as it trims. The titanium blades will cut through dense stubble and hair with ease.
You can see a customer-made video discussing the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 here:
Pros of the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100
The Philips Norelco 5100 has a strong list of features that give it an edge over other shaving competition.
- Lots of Length Settings: Featuring over 48 integrated length settings, 4 attachments and 3 combs, perfect for any type of facial hair style, such as goatees or beards.
- Great For Travel: Featuring an all inclusive package, this trimmer zips up in seconds, making shaving or grooming on the go as simple as ever. The box also reduces at home clutter as well, making this product a model example of convenient storage.
- Water Resistant: As said before, the groomer is water resistant. This means that you can shave in a wet setting such as the shower. This makes cleaning incredibly simple as well; simply rinse the groomer under the faucet for a quick and seamless cleanup process that is not messy.
- Battery and Charging: Battery life is an absolute plus with the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100, charging in only 1 hour and giving a full 60 minutes of usage when complete. The Philips Norelco also features a 5-minute quick charge option for one complete trim when there’s not enough time to fully charge.
- Incredible Cut: The Philips Norelco features skin friendly, high-performance blades intended to make shaving incredibly precise. The self-sharpening blades guarantee maximum performance over time while rounded blade tips and combs do well to prevent skin irritation when grooming. It also features a Turbo button, putting the shaver into overdrive for a power boost when shaving, especially with thick hair.
- Wireless Shaving: Usable with or without the cord plugged in, the Philips Norelco 5100 can be used to shave anywhere. Use it in the bathroom with the cord and in the car or when away from home with its wireless features.
- Ergonomic Design: The Philip Norelco Multigroom 5100 offers the same design and length of other shavers in its series. Towards the handle, the device tapers off with a smooth, rubberized grip. You will find that the buttons are all conveniently located. You won’t find a better ergonomic design when it comes to trim technology.
- Durable Construction: Each shaving attachment is made to last (including the stainless steel and plastic comb pieces). This allows you to get the most out of your unit without having to pay for replacement attachment pieces.
- Multiple Uses: As we previously mentioned, the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 lives up to its name. You can use it for so much more than to simply trim the hair on your head or for beard trimming. Thanks to the multiple attachments, you can also use the shaver to trim unwanted nose and ear hair. The precision is fantastic and charging is quick.
- Below Average Warranty: The purchase comes with a 12-month limited warranty, which, in comparison with other shavers, is average at best. If using the warranty, the original receipt must be given in order to receive product repair or replacement. Compared to other products with better warranties, the Philips Norelco 5100 stacks up just “okay”.
- Price: Coming in at a price range between $50 and $75 at the time of writing, the price is okay if you compare it with other men’s shaving grooming tools, but it’s definitely not the cheapest.
- Lacks a Battery Indicator for Charging: There is no indication when your battery is getting low. While other shavers may have a red light that comes on or a sensor that beeps, this shaver will turn off without warning when the battery runs out. When you are charging, there is no way to see that the battery is full.
- Many Parts: While the customization is convenient, having many parts to your shaver can also be frustrating at times. It is easy to lose or misplace a piece.
- Difficult to Clean: The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 has many crevices where hair and shaving gel can get stuck. Although it is waterproof, this can make it difficult to clean. Since the manufacturer does not offer a brush to clean the shaver, you will have to purchase one yourself.
- No Built-in Vacuum: There is no built-in vacuum to suck up tiny shaven hairs.
Accessories & Additional Pieces
Included in the packaging box are one Philips Norelco trimmer, various attachments and combs for different lengths of shaving, a nose trimmer, and a hair clipping comb as well. Also features a charger with cord and plug. Everything fits into the included travel care case.
What Users Say About the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100
All in all, users gave the Philips Norelco 5100 an average 4-star rating. This is based on the average rating of all reviews. One user claimed that any Philips product he has ever used met and exceeded his quality standards, stating the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 works as advertised and is of high-quality design and use. The only reason he bought this shaver is that his old one lasted so long!
Another user thought the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 was well priced and well made, stating that it performed much better than other shavers he has had before. Another woman said that her boyfriend loves it, and even she uses it sometimes!
Finally, a frequent amount of users complain about battery life, citing that after weekly usage over a year’s worth of shaving, the battery will not hold a charge without the cord attached.
Final Word: Is It Worth Buying?
The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 is an impressive trimmer and shaver combo, offering top of the line features for groomers. One of the greatest features is its amount of attachments, making custom shaving or trimming easier than ever. Battery life seems okay, so prepare to replace it within a year or two. Overall, the Philips Norelco 5100 is a trustworthy option. After all the pros and cons weighed, the Philips Norelco 5100 is a safe bet when choosing a new grooming device.